Chole batura is one of the most popular punjabi recipe which is liked by all over India.Chole is prepared with chickpeas and batura is a fried Indian bread made of all purpose flour.Chole and batura is the best combo which goes together very well.This dish is available in all Indian resturants and also on street vendors.Whenever we go to Indian resturant first we order this as it is most favorite to my kids.Here I'm posting chole and batura recipes in one post.This week I'm posting different Indian bread recipes in BM#49 So,thought of posting this mouthwatering ,lipsmacking dish.Here goes my recipe.
For chole curry::
- chole or kabuli chana 2 cups(soaked overnight)
- one big onion
- Three medium size tomatos
- grated ginger 1 Tspn
- green chillies 2 count
- Chilli powder 1 Tspn
- Aamchur powder 1/2 Tspn
I soak chole overnight and cook in the morning.I put it in pressure cooker and add 3 to 4 glasses of water, and wait for 3 whistles.Then the chole will be soft.
For dry masala powder::
- Eliachi or cardamom 3 count
- Dalchin1 stick
- lavang 3 count
- Fennel seeds 1tspn
- Jeera 1 Tspn
- Daniya 2 Tspns
- red chillies 2 count
- Black pepper 3 to 4 count
- Bay leaf
Dry roast all the ingredients in a low flame and grind into fine powder when it cools down.
Get ready onion paste separately.I use half onion paste and remaining I used for the curry.
- Heat 2 tbspn of oil in a wide pan and add chopped onions.When onions almost transparent ,add a bit of onion paste.Fry well.Then add grated ginger.Fry well until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry well until oil comes out from tomatoes.Fry tomatoes well around 10 to 15 mins until the raw smells goes off.
- After few mins add dry masala mix powder mentioned above.Along with add chilli powder and salt, a bit of Aamchur powder..Its time to add chole peas to the masala mixture.Mix cooked chole with masala mix.keep mixing 2 to 3 mins until chole absorbs masala.
- You may add 1 or 2 glasses of water depends how much thick you prefer the gravy.Boil few more mins.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and chopped onions.
- Maida 2 cups
- semolina or sooji 2 tspns
- curd 4 tspns
- Baking powder 1 Tspn
- Salt to taste
- sugar 1/2 Tspn
- Oil 1 Tspn
- oil for deep fry
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except(oil for deep fry)and slowly add water to make tight dough.Cover it with tight lid.Keep aside for at least 3 hrs.
- Take a lemon size ball or bigger than that and roll it in a rolling pan like puri or bigger size .you can dust it with little bit of flour while doing.
- Heat oil in Deep bottom pan for deep fry.When the oil is hot slowly drop it in the oil.
- Repeat this process with remaining dough.yummy Bhatura is ready.You can have with chole.The best combination I ever had!
Check out for fellow bloggers in BM#49