Whole yellow peas are part of the legume family.Yellow vatana are dried light colored whole peas.These small round dried peas are hard and need to be soaked for few hours to reduce the cooking time.Here iam going to share my mom recipe which is very easy and tasty.It is very tasty recipe can be cooked with few ingredients.
- Batani or vatana 2 cups
- Onion 1 big
- green chilli 3
- ginger& garlic crushed 2tbspn(or) 1 tbspn ginger garlic paste
- chilli powder 1 tspn
- turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- mustard 1/4 tspn
- jeera 1/4 tspn
- garam masala 1 tspn
- chat masala 1/4 tspn optional
Soak batani whole night or atleast 5 to 6 hrs.You can cook in a pressure cooker for atleast 1 whistle.I usually cook in a open pan.Some times it will be mashy if we cook in a cooker.If Iam in rush, will cook batani in a cooker.Usually I switch of the cooker before it blows the whistle.( when it just gives beep sound)
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard,jeera followed by chopped onions,green chilli.Fry few secs then add crushed ginger&garlic, fry until onions turn golden brown.
- Add batani directly to the pan( if you soak it overnight,drain it and keep water aside )Add chilli powder ,turmeric,salt fry few more mins.
- Add enough soaked water for the gravy and cover the lid,you can add chat masala if u want nice flavor.
- cover with a lid until batani is well cooked.This takes around 30 mins.
- Remember if you cook batani in a cooker it takes around 10 to 15 mins to prepare the whole curry.
- Now when the curry is almost ready add 1 tspn of garam masala.( key ingredient)
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapathi,roti,Nan. simply it goes well with rice too.You can sprinkle very finely chopped onions on top of it.