Parwal or potols is pretty famous vegetable in eastern part of India.This vegetable looks like Tindora but very different in taste.It can be prepared in many ways.My mom cooks parwal fry and parwal curry in a very easy methods.This is pretty common vegetable in orissa and bengal states of India.During my childhood days when were visiting grand parents home ( Bubaneswar)we used to eat this vegetable a lot.Coming to this today's recipe is little different version compared to what my mom used to cook.This is my husband's recipe which he learnt from my mother in law.Here goes yummy and tasty parwal curry.
- paraval 1lb( nearly 1/2 kg)
- Aloo(potato) 3 to 4 count
- One big onion
- Tomato 1 big
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tspn
- Jeera 1/2 tspn
- chilli powder 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- Garam masala 1/4 tspn
- coriander powder 1/2 tspn
- cumin powder 1/4 tspn
- Poppy seeds 1/2 tspn
- 1 bay leaf
- Mustard oil or vegetable oil 3 to 4 tbspns
- Grated coconut 2 tbspn
- salt to taste
Make a paste of one onion and Blend tomato separately into fine paste.Get ready the paste with grated coconut,poppyseeds and keep aside.
- Cut Paraval and potato into big pieces and marinate with salt and turmeric powder just 2 to 3 mins. keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan just 2 to 3 tb spn of oil,when splutters fry potato and parval pieces.This takes around 5 to 8 mins keep aside.
- In the same pan,add little oil, bay leaf, jeera( 1/4 tspn) a pinch of sugar then add onion paste.Fry few mins until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomato paste,chilli powder,turmeric powder, coriander powder,cumin powder.Fry well until oil oozes out of the masala.
- Add fried potato and Parval pieces to this masala paste.Fry few mins then add 1 to 2 cups of water depends upon how much thick gravy we prefer.Finally add coconut poppyseeds paste.Then cover it until it is well cooked.
- This takes around 15 to 20 mins.Now the curry is almost ready.Add very little garam masala. cook few more mins. Enjoy with rice or roti.