Mango is the king of all fruits.It is most favorite fruit in my family.We love to taste mango fruit in all seasons.Luckily we are getting mangoes in all seasons here.Still I remember how Nanna's friends used to bring bag of packed mangoes to our home,immedietely, we all ready to search all mangoes to see which one is ripe.Amma used to prepare pickles with mangoes in summer.My most favorite is Banginpalli. I truly enjoy the taste.Now my kids joined the club.Coming to today's recipe i.e mango jam.This is one jam I always prefer to have with bread during my long train journeys in India.Every summer we used to go long journeys in train. Amma used to carrry bread and jam with us.Recollecting my old childhood memories..what a wonderful childhood.!!This simple jam gives nice tangy flavor and awesome taste.Posting this recipe in BM#74 under the theme sauces and preservatives.
- Raw mango 1/2
- sugar 1 cup
- water 1/4 cup
- Saffron 2 to 3 strands
- Rose syrup 2 to 3 drops
- Grate mango skin and chop mango into small pieces.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a bowl, add chopped pieces to the boiling water boil until they are soft( 15 mins)
- Now remove mango pieces from the stove,drain the water and let it sit for 5 mins in the drainer.
- In another bowl add water(1/4 cup) and sugar ,let it boil until you see bubbles in the water sugar syrup.
- check for one thread consistency,add chopped drained mango pieces to the sugar syrup.Add saffron to the syrup.
- Boil mango pieces in the sugar syrup,until it just thickens in low flame.( 10 to 15 mins)finally may add rose water if you prefer.
- Now switch of the stove and enjoy yummy jam with bread of your choice.
- Store the jam in the refrigerator for 1 week.