Dates and walnuts bread is my favorite do list bread pending for long time.This is a wonderful moist bread can be eaten any time.Nice cinnamon flavor enhances the bread taste.Dates are rich in many vital nutrients and lot of health benefits.My kids doesn't like to have dates any time.So the only way I have to manage mixing in a wonderful flavored bread.Walnuts contain several unique antioxidants that are available in only a few commonly eaten foods.Among nuts Walnuts are considered as king of nuts as research shows they may boost your health in a number of ways.( info from wiki)coming to the recipe I added few almonds entirely your choice. I followed the steps of Joy of baking video in baking the bread.It was awesome.with very few changes I baked the bread.
- chopped pitted Dates 1 1/2 cups
- walnuts 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour or Maida 2 cups
- Almonds 10 count(optional)
- Brown sugar 1/2 cup
- Egg 1
- salt a pinch
- Vanilla essence 1 tspn
- cinnamon powder 1/4tspn
- Baking soda 1/2 tspn
- Bakingpowder 1 1/2 tspn
- Boiling water1cup
- Butter 1/2 cup( should be cold)
- Chop dates into small pieces ,add baking soda and hot boiling water to it.Let it sit for 30 mins until dates soften ,absorbs entire water.
- In a baking tray arrange walnuts and almonds and bake at 350F around 8 mins OR until nice roasted aroma comes from the oven.Later crush into small pieces and keep aside.
- Take a bowl, mix All purpose flour,baking powder,cinnamon powder,salt a pinch,cold butter( chopped into cubes)Give a quick stir in a blender or food processor.Take out and keep aside. Then add crushed walnuts and almonds.
- Beat egg in separate bowl,add vanilla essence.Add this egg mixture to the flour mixture,followed by soaked dates mixture.Mix everything nicely until they are well combined.Make sure there is no dry powder left.Everything is wet,perfectly combined.( Don't over mix or else bread comes out hard)
- Preheat oven 350F bake around 1 hr.( yeah this takes little longer time)or test it with tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- When done,let it cool down completely then cut into desired shapes.
- Yummy Dates walnut bread is ready to eat.