Ariselu is a traditional sweet of south India prepared especially for Makara sankranthi.It is alsoprepared during weddings and some traditional gatherings.Ariselu usually prepared with Jaggary and rice flour.Another variation is using sugar and rice flour.But the one with jaggary one is awesome in taste and when it comes to Ariselu I always remember with jaggary ariselu prepared by my Grand mom.Here Iam posting the very simple way.Usually the taste depends upon the quality of jaggery.When it comes to texture,usually the traditonal ones are soft.But the one I prepared little crispy but soft inside.Here goes the recipe.The one deep fried in ghee usually soft.Here in my recipe they are soft inside crispy out side.
- Rice 2 1/2 cups( 2 CUPS + 1/2 CUP)
- Jaggery 1 1/2 cup
- Seesame seeds 2 tbspn
- Ghee 2 tbspns
- water 1/4 cup
- oil for deep fry
- Soak rice in water around 12 hrs or overnight.
- Next day drain the extra water and dry the rice for atleast 1 hr or 30 mins on a cloth.when the rice is little wet take out from the cloth and put it in a blender.
- Now blend the rice in a blender until smooth and then sieve the extra flour.
- Heat a pan add little water 1/4 cup or just enough to cover the jaggary, and melt the jaggary until it foamy.
- When jaggary starts melting slowly, should be very careful.This entire process take around 10 to 15 mins.
- To check when the syrup is ready add few drops to a bowl of cold water,if it forms a soft ball then it is ready.
- Reduce the flame to low and start adding rice flour to the syrup slowly and stirring well.Make sure no lumps formed.Stir continuously until it reaches dough consistency.
- When the dough is ready switch of the flame keep aside for half an hour.when cooled mix seesame seeds.
- Take a small lemon size ball and roll it into a small disc by applying little ghee and spread on a greased plate.
- Heat oil in a deep bowl,slowly deep fry one by one on both sides.Drain extra oil by pressing the way I showed in the pic.Then take out, store it in a airtight box.Yummy ariselu is ready.