Phirni is a popular North Indian sweet dish.Easy to make is a kind of rice pudding.usually South Indians prepare payasam a sweet dish similar to phirni,unlike payasam it does not use whole grains of rice.Phirni made with coarsely ground rice,flavored with lots of saffron,cardamom,lot of nuts.It is usually thick in consistency and we can make it thin by adding more milk as per our taste.phirni can enjoyed well when it is cold.I'm posting this recipe in Blogging Marathon in#55 under the theme in no bake desserts.
- Milk 1 liter
- Basmati rice 4 tbspn
- Sugar 6 tbspn
- Saffron strands few
- Chopped pistachio few
- Soak basmati rice in water for about half an hour.
- Drain,pat dry on an absorbent kitchen towel and blend into coarse powder.
- Mix 3 tbspn of cold milk to the coarse powder and keep it aside.
- Now boil remaining milk in a bowl.Simmer it to medium flame when the milk about to rise.
- Now add coarse riceflour paste to the boiled milk and mix it slowly.Let it boil 10 mins then add sugar and cardamom powder.
- Switch off the flame when it just thickens and rice powder just cooked enough.
- Sprinkle some chopped nuts and keep it in refrigerator until just thickens
- Enjoy when chilled.