Drumstick tree called the power house of minerals is the most common tree in India.Almost all parts of the drumstick tree have medical value.The small round leaves are especially beneficial in treating many ailments because of their iron content and many medicinal properties..Info from wiki.Usually in southern parts of India these drumsticks are cooked in different ways.Most ways we use it in sambar.The place where I brought up in Andhra,most of them cook as a curry.There are many variety recipes with drumstick .I have already tried different drumstick curries.So thought to try drumstick pickle.When I was searching a good drumstick pickle this recipe finds interesting and yummy Adapted the recipe from a TV show.Posting this recipe in BM#64 UNDER THE THEME PICKLES..
- Drum sticks 5 to 6
- Tamarind 100 gms or 7 tbspns
- redchilli powder 4 tbspn
- Mustard powder 4 tbspns
- salt 4 tbspns
- oil 1 cup
- Jeera 2tbspn plus methi 1 tbspn( and ground to fine powder)
- garlic pods8 to 10 mashed
- Jeera,mustard each 1 tsn
- urad dal 1 tspn
- chana dal 1 tspn
- Red chillies 4 to 5
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- Asofodita or hing a pinch
- Curry leaves 1 or 2 strings
- Lemon juice 1/4 cup
- Wash drumstick and dry it with towel completely.Cut them into medium pieces when they are completely dry.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the pulp,heat the pulp on stove about 15 mins until it just thickens.( in a medium flame)
- In a pan heat 4 to 5 tbspn of oil and shallow fry drumsticks pieces.Let them fry in medium flame until they are soft and well cooked.
- When they are almost cooked take out in another bowl and let it cool
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil,add mustard, jeera,urad dal,chana dal,red chillies,hing,curry leaves.Let the tadka cools down completely.
- Add cooled tamarind pulp to the cooked drumstickspieces.And add redchilli powder,mustard powdr,jeera methi powder,turmeric powder,salt and cooled tadka or seasoning.
- Finally add lemon juice and mix it well.Yummy drumstick pickle is ready.
Note: Adjust spices and salt as per your taste.
It can stay more than a month without any refrigeration.
Check out fellow bloggers in BM#64