Idli is all time breakfast to our family,which is very healthy and easy to prepare.Idli or steamed lentil dumplings can be taken with variety of chutneys.All time my favorite one is Idli with onion chutney.I learnt this chutney from my mom,who is a fabulous cook.Whenever she cooks this chutney I end up eating more Idlis.This is so tempting chutney that we can't stop asking more idlis.Today even my kids love to have this with Idli.Here goes my onion chutney.
- Onions 3 medium size ( can use one very big onion which we get here in US)
- Red chillies 3 to 4( can add more spices depends upon your spice level)
- Jeera 1/2 tspn
- Ginger 3 small pieces( Small gooseberry size)
- Tamarind ( small piece like gooseberry size)
- Tomato small( optional,you can use only tamarind)
- oil 2 tbspn
- salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tspn
- Urad dal 1/4 tspn
- Red chilli 1
- curry leaves 2 strings
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera,when starts spluttering add chopped onions,red chillies,ginger.
- Fry well until onions changes the color ,fry around 10 mins in medium flame.
- When onions and other spices fried well add tamarind, salt.
- Switch off the stove after one min.Let the mixture cool completely.
- Add 1/4 cup of water while grinding if you prefer the chutney should be lighter.
- Now for tadka or seasoing ,heat 1 tbspn of oil in pan add mustard seeds,urad dal,1 redhilli,curry leaves.when they start splutter add onion mixture boil for 1 more in tadka.
- Yummy onion chutney is ready.Enjoy with idli.