Moong dal also known as mung lentils .Moong beans are packed with protein.One cup of boiled beans provides 14 gms of protein.This is one of the reasons that mung dal is such a popular meal in India.Moong dal can be a great nutritious addition to a balanced diet.It is healthy meal that provides high levels of protein and fiber while containing relatively few calories and little fat. Methi or fenugreek leaves have numerous health benefits.These leaves are used treating gastric problems and other intestinal issues.When I was wondering what shall I cook something different with methi, then I Saw this recipe in one of the cookery show ,so the next day I tried.It is very easy and awesome in taste with that little sourness added.Today I'm going to post combination of mung dal and methi rasam.Wow! what a favorable rasam with great aromatic finishing touch with lemon.I'm going to post this in BM#50 under the theme' Methi dishes'.
- Moongdal 1 cup
- Mehti 1 bunch chopped
- Garlic 3 to 4 pods
- Onion 1 small chopped
- Redchillies 2
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- Lemon 1 to 2( Big size 1 smaller 2)
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tspn
- Jeera 1/2 tspn
- Oil 2 tbspn
- salt to taste
- Cook moong dal separately in a pressure cooker just for 1 or 2 whistles or until it is soft.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds,jeera, when they crackle add chopped onions,redchillies, fry well.
- Add crushed garlic fry few mins then add chopped methi leaves,followed by turmeric and salt.
- Cover with lid, let methi cook for few mins.After few mins remove lid and fry 1 or 2 mins.When oil oozes out of the leaves and methi well cooked add cooked moong dal
- Let Methi and moong dal cook around 5 mins then add 2 cups of water.Adjust salt as per your taste.Let it boil for few mins.
- Switch off the stove and sprinkle lemon juice and mix it well.( This is important step,as lemon juice gives nice aromatic flavor to the rasam)