Upma is a easy south Indian breakfast or tiffin recipe.We can make different varieties in upma. I usually cook upma in breakfast atleat once in aweek with variations. Upma is traditionally made from sooji or samolina but can also be made with vermicelli .Mostly vermicelli are used in making kheer.Today im going to post easy vegetable samiya or vermicelli upma.
- samiya 2 cups
- one onion
- green chilli 2
- ginger 2 small pieces chopped thinly
- mustard 1/2 tspn
- jeera 1/2 tspn(optional)
- urad dal 1tspn
- chana dal 1/2 tspn
- curry leave( optional)
- vegetables as per our taste 1 to 2 cups(carrot,beans,green peas,potato)
- water 4 cups or 3 1/2
- oil 2 tbspns
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan,when it is hot add little oil 1/2 tspn and fry samiya well until get nice aroma(when it changes color a bit)around 5 mins in a medium flame
- Then take out the samiya in another plate keep aside
- In the same pan add remaining oil.When it is hot add mustard seeds,jeera,urad dal then chopped onions,green chilli,ginger salt.
- Fry few mins and add chopped vegetables and cover the lid few mins.
- Now add water let it boil few mins till the vegetables cooked.Then add fried samiya and let it cook few mins.Stir the vermicelli till it cooked and water is absorbed completly.switch off the stove..
Check out for fellow bloggers in BM#42