Fish is a highly nutritious food.Being an excellent protein food with fewer calories,compared to other meats.It is rich in omega3 fatty acids proven to be good for the heart.Fish is an important staple food in the coastal regions of India and cooked in various ways.Fish pulusu or fish curry is famous in Andhra pradesh .Every state has its own way of making fish curry.This curry is purely my style as I cook lot of fish recipes which i learnt from my mom and mother in law.Here goes my recipe.
- Fish 3 fillets (tilipa)
- ginger garlic each 3 to 4 pieces
- poppy seeds 1tspn
- onion 1 big or 2 med
- chillies 3(green or red )
- turmeric powder
- daniya powder,jeera powder each 1tspn
- Methi powder 1/4 tspn
- Tomato 1
- chilli powder 1/2 tspn
- Mustard oil (you may use any oil)
- water 1 to 2 cups
Marination: wash and cut fish pieces into desired shape add turmeric powder,salt,chillipowder,ginger garlic paste.keep aside for 1/2 an hr or refrigerate for half an hr.
- Heat 2 tbspn of oil in a pan,slowly add marinated fish pieces,fry few mins around 5 to 10 mins..Just to ged rid of the raw smell.
- Take out the pieces and keep aside.Add little bit oil to the same pan .Fry chopped onions(half for masala paste and half for frying)Until golden brown
- Grind ginger garlic,poppy seeds,chillies,onion into fine paste,keep aside.
- Add the masala paste to the fried onions ,fry well in a medium flame until oil oozes out of the masala.
- Now add tomato puree to the masla paste fry few more mins till raw smell goes off.Add daniya powder,jeera powder turmeric and chilli powder,mix it well.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it boil few mins,when you see the bubbles slowly add sauted fish pieces to the pan.
- Cover the lid,let it cook 5 to 8 mins then add methi powder and cook 3 to 4 mins and garnish with coriander leaves.