Indian pickles have wide range of flavors and textures.Indian pickles are generally pickled with oil,lemon juice,vinegar.Some meats that are pickled in Indian cusine are chicken,meat and shrimp.Today I'm going to post chicken pickle.Chicken pickle is very popular in Andhra (state in India)along with prawn or shrimp.I haven't tried chicken pickle until i cook myself.When one of my close friend Padmini visited my home we both tried this recipe in my home.It was a hit But i didn't get a chance to write about it as i haven't created blog then.
This week we got fresh country chicken(nattu kodi). So i thought of preparing chicken pickle.Here goes my recipe
- chicken 1 lb
- coriander seeds 2 tbspns
- cinnamon 2 pieces
- cloves 8 to 9
- poppy seeds (dry roast) 1 tspn
- garlic pods8 to 10
- ginger same as garlic (8 to 10 small pieces)
- water 2 glasses
- turmeric 1/4tspn
- salt 4 to 5 tspn(as needed)
- Oil 100ml
- chillipowder 6 to 8 tspns(as per your taste)
- mustard powder2 tspns
- Fenugreek powder 1/2 tspn
- Lemon 4 (medium size)
Ingredients for tadka:
- oil 100ml
- Dry red chillies 3 to 5
- cumin seeds 1 tspn
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tspn
- curry leaves 1 string
- Asofoedia 1 pinch
- Clean and cut chicken into small pieces.(boneless preferred).Heat 2 glasses of water in a bowl let it boil and add chicken to this boiled water.
- Cook chicken till it is soft.You can add very little salt and turmeric powder in the water.
- Now when the chicken is done drain the extra water and put the pieces in paper towel for 20 mins till they completely dry.(Here i have taken natu kodi or country chicken,for me it took more time to soften the chicken.usually 20 mins if you cover with a lid))
- In the mean time grind all the spices coriander seeds,cloves ,cinnamon,and dry roast poppy seeds to fine powder.
- In the next round add ginger and garlic piecess and grind again.Keep this masala paste aside.
- Now heat a pan add 100 ml of oil and fry boiled chicken till golden brown.
- To the fried chicken add grinded masala paste and fry few mins 3 to 4 mins and switch off the stove.
- In another small bowl add salt,chillipowder,mustard powder,fenugreek powder,and mix it well.Put all these spices on top of chicken and mix nicely
- In another bowl squeeze lemon juice ( 4 or 5 lemon).Once the chicken is cooled completely add this lemon juice and mix it well
- For tadka the final step,heat a pan add 100 ml of oil ,when it is hot add cumin,mustard seeds,dry red chillies, and asofoedia.Switch off the stove and carefully add curry leaves.Let this tadka cool completely.
- Add this tadka to the chicken and mix it well.you can transfer this in a dry glass container.Have it with rice.Enjoy the taste of chicken pickle.