Pani puri/phoocka,/gol gappa,/gupchup is known by different names based on the regions you hail from but neverthless it is a popular street snack especially inIndia,Nepal&pakistan.It comprises of a round , hollow puri and filled with a watery mixture of pani.(tamarind, coriander , mint,& chilli paste topped with chat masala and coriander powder.)The puri is stuffed with mashed potato, onion and chick peas.The name pani puri literally means "water in fried bread.".It all depends on an individual's choice to present pani puris in their own way.sour to taste.Mine is the eastern version of pani puri.
One may find different flavors and ingredients involved ranging from the regional taste buds, but the basic shape, size and its effect remains the same.Traditionally, pani puris are eaten by placing the entire puri into the mouth in one go and biting into it. This releases a barrage of tastes enticing the different taste buds.
- 1 cup rava
- 2 tsp of maida(all purpose flour)
- bottled soda water
For the filling
- 1 cup dried batani or vatana or chick peas soaked in water for at least 5 hrs
- 2 medium size potatos
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 Tspn of red chilli powder(optional)
- 1 Tspn of chat masala
- 1 Tspn of jeera powder
- Salt to taste
For the pani or water
- 2 tbspn of tamarind juice(thick)
- 1 tbspn of sugar or jaggery
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 Tspn of Daniya powder
- 1 Tspn of black salt
- 1/2 Tspn of cumin powder
- Mint leaves 1 small bunch
- Half cup of coriander leaves
- 1 Tspn of pepper powder(optional)
For making pooris
- In a mixing bowl,mix rava,salt,bottled soda water slowly,until it absorbs the water
- Now add maida,mix it well until the dough is well kneaded.cover with damp cloth.let it rest for 20 mins
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan on medium flame.
- Divide the dough into2 halfs
- Roll out each half into a big thin chapathi.
- Using a small cup or glass ,cut out small puris from chapathi.
- Fry these puris one by one when the oil is really hot.
- Cover the remaining puris with damp cloth.
- Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
- Pressure cook the soaked batani or vatana and potatos separately.
- Chop potatos,add red chillipowder,chopped onions,chat masala,coriander leaves and mix well
- Add salt to the vatana or chick peas combine with mashed potato .
- We can also add hot boondi or sev.
- Mix all ingredients and grind to a fine paste.
- Take a mixing bowl with 1or 2cups of cold water add the grinded paste.
- refrigerate few hours and serve chilled with pooris.
Serving pani poori
- Place the poori in your palm tap the poori at the center lightly to make a small gap for the filling.
- Fill it with small quantity of mashed potato,chickpeas,chat masala,sev or boondi raw onions.
- Dip in tamarind mint flavored water also called as pani and enjoy.
2. you may use baking powder 1/4 tspn and enough water to knead the dough.
3.cover the dough with damp cloth until you fry.
4. Don't use oil while kneading the dough this may result into soft puris.
5.Use fine sooji for better results,here i have used the regular sooji.( you may grind the regular one for fine sooji)
6. Store puris in a airtight container for further use.
Check out what fellow bloggers are cooking for BM# 40