Split Moong Dal is a type of Lentil ,specially used in India with rice or roti. Split Moong dal is prepared from mung beans only. The outer skin is removed and splited. It makes this lentil yellow in color.Split Mung Beans are a traditional ingredient of Indian cooking, often used in curries. It cooks fast as in 1-2 whistle in a pressure cooker.
I tried this recipe first time as it is rich in iron .My husband liked it very much and so did my kids.Thought of posting it in my blog. Here goes below the details on my healthy dish.
- Poha 2 cups(beaten rice)
- Moong dal 1/4 cup(split yellow gram)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped methi leaves(you may use spinach )
- 1 tbspn of finely chopped coriander
- 3 to 4 green chillies
- Ginger 3 to 4 small pieces
- 1/4 Tspn of sugar
- 2 Tspn of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 to 4 Tspn of oil
- Soak the moong dal in water for at least an hour.Then drain it and keep aside.
- Soak rice flakes in water for just 2 to 5 mins ,drain the water from it(squeeze the extra water by pressing (I used thick rice flakes)
- Mix all ingredients i.e green chilies,moong dal, ginger,rice flakes in a bowl.Grind into coarse paste (I prefer grinding moong dal first,then add poha and other ingredients).
- Transfer the mixture into another bowl add methi leaves( u can use spinach instead of methi) chopped coriander,sugar,salt,lemon juice and mix well.
- Now divide the dough into equal portions and shape into round balls,and flatten it between your palms.
- Heat a non stick pan,use 1 or2 spn s of oil and cook 4 To 5 cutlets,till they turn golden colour both sides .
- Repeat the process to make another batch.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney of your choice.