Carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa is a popular and ultimate Indian dessert.Traditionally carrot halwa is prepared during our festivals like Diwali,Holi..It is very popular in North India..There are several ways to cook this carrot halwa.We can use pressure cooker or microwave or stove top.But the real taste lies in taking the time and cooking it over low flame continuously in a pan on stove top.Carrots are exceptionally rich source of Beta carotenes and vitaminA. Beta carotene is one of the powerful natural antioxidant that helps protect body from harmful effects.Carrots also has all the functions of VitaminA.Such as maintaining good eye health.Because of its numerous health benefits one should include carrots in their diet regularly.I'm posting this recipe in BM#47 under the theme Indian desserts.Here goes my recipe
- 2 cups of shredded carrot
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 tbspoon of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tspoon of cardamom powder.
- Roasted cashews 5 to 6(broken into small pieces)
- Take a wide pan and add butter to it stir it in low flame until it melts.Then slowly add shredded carrot to the melted butter and fry it until it changes the color.It takes 5 to 10 mins.
- When it is soft we can slowly add 2 cups of whole milk to the mixture.I usually add 1 cup of whole milk and one cup of heavy cream,as it enhances the taste very much.
- We cook until the milk completely dries.It takes around 10 mins.
- Then slowly add sugar and cardamom powder and fry until the halwa starts to leave the pan.
- Garnish with roasted cashews.