Falafel is a patty made with ground chick pea flour.It is a middle eastern food,usually served with Pita bread.Falafel become a pretty common form of street-food in Middle east. Falafel plays an important role in Israeli cuisine and considered as national dish of the country.Now a days it is pretty common in most of the restaurants in North America.This dish is very healthy dish as it is made with chickpeas,which has a high protein and essential nutrients.Falafel replaces meat for Vegetarians and has become popular among vegeterians. I tasted Falafel first time in Middle East restaurant,and I loved it.Tried falafel first time at home and it came out very well.It tastes similar to our chana dal vada..Here you go posting my version of Falafel.
- chickpeas or chole 2cup( 160 ml cup)
- spinach 1 cup
- onion 1/2( smaller one)
- coriander leaves 1/2 cup
- jeera or cumin seeds 1 tspn
- garlic 3(large) cloves
- green chilli 3
- Maida 2 tbspns
- salt to taste.
- Soak chick peas overnight for 6 to 7 hrs.Drain the extra water and keep aside.
- Cook spinach in boiling water for 2 mins.Drain water and keep spinach aside..
- Grind chickpeas,chopped onion,garlic,spinach,jeera,coriander leaves,salt, green chilli, into coarse batter using very little water.( hardly 2 tbpns of water)
- Add Maida to the batter.Make round balls(each lemon size) and flatten the ball slightly pressing it on top.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep fry,once it is hot slowly drop flatten balls into the oil.Fry both sides until brown.
- Yummy Falafel is ready.You can have it with hummus or eaten just like that .
NOTE: I ADDED MORE SPINACH SO THE COLOR IS LITTLE DARK.YOU MAY REDUCE THE QUANTITY OF SPINACH.