Sunday, March 12, 2017

Mango Thokku

Summer is almost here in Florida.Though we don't feel much winters here but we feel little chill  in the mornings. New-home lot of ventilation  feels as if every day is summer.I have a plan to plant mango tree in future.Don't know when it is possible.Yesterday I bought few raw mangoes when I went to market.There are two different shapes.I picked the smaller ones as they are very sour and good for pickling.I tried many pickles but didn't try instant mango thokku ( means grated mango).There are different way to prepare this pickle.I prepared instant method which is quick and easy method.It can stay fresh more than a month in the refrigerator.Posting this recipe in BM#74 under the theme Sauces and preserves.Here is my instant mango thokku.








Ingredients:

  • Raw mango grated 2 cups
  • Mustard powder 2 tspns
  • Fenugreek powder 1 tspn
  • Red chilli powder 3 tspns
  • Salt 3 tspns ( you may increase or decrease)
  • Oil 100 ml + 3 Tbspns for tadka( Usually I prefer mustard oil)
For Tempering

  • Jeera 1/4tspn
  • mustard seeds 1/4tspn
  • Fenugreek seeds 5 to 6
  • curry leaves 2 strings
  • urad dal 1 tspn
  • Garlic 5 to 6 pods
  • Asofoedita( inguva) 1/4tspn or a pinch
  • Red chili 1or 2 
  • oil 3 tbspn( mustard oil or seesame oil)


Procedure:
  • Wash mangoes nicely and pat dry on a dry cloth and keep aside. 
  • Peel the mango skin and grate it nicely ,keep aside.
  • Heat a pan dry roast fenugreek seeds nicely in low flame until it changes the color.
  • Add mustard powder,fenugreek powder red chilli powder,salt ,oil mix it well.
  • For tempering add 3 tbspn of oil in a pan heat it add msutard,jeera,urad dal methi ,redchillies,garlic,curry leaves.
  • when tempering cools down add the tempering to the mango mixture.Let it sit for 5 hrs and enjoy with White rice.
  • It stays fresh for 15 days without refrigeration if we use dry spoon in each serving.





9 comments:

  1. I do prepare the same way and it's my favorite. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp slurp, my mouth is just watering here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is surely such a keeper recipe right!..too good..

    ReplyDelete
  4. For us, although it is spring, it now feels like winter, than it did couple of months ago. Instant pickle looks great

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this instant type of pickles. Mango pickle looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My all time favorite. Can have it with curd rice, dosai, idli and any tiffin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a different recipe! Mango thokku is a variety dish having a unique taste. I ate this when i went to my uncles house. He always tells that masala companies in kerala give a unique taste to dishes. I love this. Thankyou for this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete