Summer is almost here in Florida.Though we don't feel much winters here but we feel little chill in the mornings. New-home lot of ventilation feels as if every day is summer.I have a plan to plant mango tree in future.Don't know when it is possible.Yesterday I bought few raw mangoes when I went to market.There are two different shapes.I picked the smaller ones as they are very sour and good for pickling.I tried many pickles but didn't try instant mango thokku ( means grated mango).There are different way to prepare this pickle.I prepared instant method which is quick and easy method.It can stay fresh more than a month in the refrigerator.Posting this recipe in BM#74 under the theme Sauces and preserves.Here is my instant mango thokku.
- Raw mango grated 2 cups
- Mustard powder 2 tspns
- Fenugreek powder 1 tspn
- Red chilli powder 3 tspns
- Salt 3 tspns ( you may increase or decrease)
- Oil 100 ml + 3 Tbspns for tadka( Usually I prefer mustard oil)
- Jeera 1/4tspn
- mustard seeds 1/4tspn
- Fenugreek seeds 5 to 6
- curry leaves 2 strings
- urad dal 1 tspn
- Garlic 5 to 6 pods
- Asofoedita( inguva) 1/4tspn or a pinch
- Red chili 1or 2
- oil 3 tbspn( mustard oil or seesame oil)
- Wash mangoes nicely and pat dry on a dry cloth and keep aside.
- Peel the mango skin and grate it nicely ,keep aside.
- Heat a pan dry roast fenugreek seeds nicely in low flame until it changes the color.
- Add mustard powder,fenugreek powder red chilli powder,salt ,oil mix it well.
- For tempering add 3 tbspn of oil in a pan heat it add msutard,jeera,urad dal methi ,redchillies,garlic,curry leaves.
- when tempering cools down add the tempering to the mango mixture.Let it sit for 5 hrs and enjoy with White rice.
- It stays fresh for 15 days without refrigeration if we use dry spoon in each serving.