kajjikayalu is traditional Andhra sweet usually prepare in the festival time like Ganesh chaturthi ,Diwali,sankranthi ugadhi..It has different names in different states.In North India it is called as Gujiaa..Usually this sweet is prepared during Holi festival in North India.I hardly prepare this sweet dish in these many years.Though it is easy sweet to prepare at home,but some how I missed it.After long time I prepared this dish.The filling inside the dish is very tasty and healthy too.The filling is just roasted semolina,nuts,dry coconut.Every bite of this dish gives you nice crispy and sweet cardamom flavor. As ugadhi (Telugu New year)is coming soon celebrate ugadhi with this yummy sweet.Posting this recipe in BM#74 under the theme Festivals of India.
- Maida or all purpose flour 2 cups
- Ghee 4 tbsp
- Water to knead the dough
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry
- For the filling:
- sooji or semolina 1 cup
- dry grated coconut 1/4 cup
- sugar 1 cup
- cardamom powder 1 tbsp
- cashew nuts roasted 3 tbsp
- Take a bowl,mix maida,salt 2 tbspns of ghee and little water and knead into soft dough.( don't make it too soft)just enough soft to handle.cover it and keep aside.
- In another pan heat 2 tbspn of ghee and roast grated coconut for 4 to 5 mins or until it releases nice aroma.when it is done take out from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tbspn of ghee roast sooji for about 8 to 10 mins in medium to low flame or until it releases nice aroma.Then take out from the pan and keep aside.
- powder the sugar and keep aside.
- Mix sooji ,coconut, sugar,roasted nuts cardamom powder in a bowl.
- Now take a small quantity of the dough and make round ball,roll it like chapathi.Add 2 tbspn of sooji mixture on one side of roll, fold it and close the edges by wetting your hands with little water as shown in the pic.
- Fold the edges firmly so that stuffing won't leak while deep frying.Here folding edges in twisted way so that filling will stay firm
Check out for fellow bloggers in BM#74