Puran poli/Holige /Bobbatlu or Bakshalu is a sweet flat bread from India called with different names in different states,Karnataka ,Maharashtra and Andhra pradesh. In some places for stuffing instead of chana dal they use moong dal or toor dal,but in my recipe I prepared using chana dal. Bobattlu also called Indian traditional sweet usually prepared during ugadhi ( Telugu new year) and also in festival poojas.It is an art making puran poli. Strictly speaking, preparing soft puran poli is an art.It comes with practice and experince. This recipe again I learnt from Aunty who hail from Karnataka. she came to our home and teach every step how to prepare traditional way.I learnt so many techniques in the recipe through Aunty. These are very soft though they doesn't appear to be like that in the pic.I forgot to take pic with camera.This is a casual pic in my phone. sorry for the poor pics.Will change my pics once I prepare Bobbatlu soon.I drafted the pic for so long and now its time to post.Posting this recipe in BM#74 UNDER the theme Festival of the month.
- chana dal 1 1/2 cup( 1 cup + 1/2 cup)200 ml cup
- water to boil 2 1/2 cups
- Maida 1 1/2 cups
- turmeric powder a pinch
- water to knead the dough
- sugar 1 1/2 cup
- oil 1/4cup
- cardamom crushed 1 tspn
- rice flour 3 tbspns
- Boil chana dal in cooker( just enough water to cover the dal) until for 2 whistles in medium flame.Let it cool then drain extra water from dal.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder to the chana dal and start heating on the stove until it is just firm to form a shape( this takes around 20 to 25 mins)
- while the dal is cooking start kneading the dough add turmeric powder little water in a bowl then add maida and start kneading like chapathi dough.
- After completely kneading add little oil slowly and knead it again.Add rest of the oil,cover and keep aside.
- Now the dal in the cooker is about to firm,then switch off the stove.Let it cook completely.
- Take small ball from the dough( leave rest of the oil in the bowl) like small lemon size shape into small disc press deeper in the middle, stuff big lemon size dal.shape the dough into small disc and fold dal inside,slightly pulling upwards and remove extra stuff dough on top.
- Slowly shape it like a small chapathi( using enough rice flour while kneading)
- press using roller pin like we do chapathis.
- Heat a pan,fry bobattlu both sides few mins ( no oil)and just fold and store it in a air tight container.
- Enjoy with 1 tspn of ghee on top .Yummy bobattlu ready.
- Always make sure dough should be soaked atleast half an hour in oil.
- Make sure stuffing should be double the size of the dough.
- Dal should be very well cooked.