Burfi is a famous sweet from Indian subcontinent.There are many famous burfis include besan burfi( made with chickpea flour) ,cashew burfi,( made with cashews)almond burfi.(made with almonds).Today I'm posting famous festival sweet dish Badam or almond burfi which is quiet healthy and tasty.I have lots of almonds in my kitchen pantry, thought to do something with them in a way kids will like it.Finally I made this burfi for Diwali to my family.My kids tasted it first and they loved it.Actually they are not much sweet lovers.But,they absolutely enjoyed eating this burfis..Ancient Indian beliefs that almonds increase brain capacity and intellectual ability.Cholesterol reduction is the most extraordinary benefit of almonds.
- Almonds or badam 2 cups ( soaked over night preferebly)
- sugar 4 and 1/4cups( 4 cups + 1/4 cup),I used cane sugar shown in the pic)
- Ghee 3 tbspn
- Grated almonds 3 to 4
- cardamom powder 1/2 tspn
- water 3/4 cup
- milk 1 cup ( to mix while grinding)
- Rose water 1 tspn
- Soak almonds over night and blanch almonds in the morning( just putting in the boiling water for 2 mins and drain it ,soon rinse in the cold water.)Grind almonds into smooth paste using 1cup of milk
- Boil sugar and water in a pan for sugar syrup until 1 string consistency.( this takes around 20mins)
- check one string consistency by just touching one drop between your fingers and pulling apart.It it extends as a string then it is ready.
- Soon the syrup is ready add the prepared badam paste to the syrup.Stir it continuously around 45 to 50 mins until the syrup is thickened.Stirring continuously is the important step or else bottom will be burnt.
- when the paste is little thick enough and is almost ready transfer the mixture into a greased plate or bowl.
- cool it few mins then shape into desired shapes and enjoy Badam burfi.