Masoor Matki or whole red lentils or whole baby masoor dal or sabut masoor dal is very healthy a great source of protein and fiber.They retain their shape when cooked and wonderful in taste.These are tiny lens shaped pulses which have traditionally been used as a meat substitute. Masoor matki can be prepare very easily at home with just few ingredients.Here goes the recipe.Adapted this recipe from chef sanjeev kapoor's kitchen.
- whole masoor dal or masoor matki 1 cup
- Tomatoes 2 medium size
- one small onion chopped
- Bay leaves 1 to 2
- Jeera 1/2 tspn
- Green chillies 2 to 3
- coriander powder 1 tson
- Kasuri methi 1/4 tspn
- Red chillie powder 1 tspn
- garam masala powder 1/2 tspn
- Finely chopped or grated ginger 1 tspn
- chopped coriander leaves 1 to 2 tbspns
- salt to taste.
- oil 2 tbspns
- Soak whole masoor dal or masoor matki for 30 mins and pressure cook upto 3 whistles.Then keep aside.( you can add 2 cups of water ,add grated ginger little bit)
- Heat oil in a pan when it is hot add jeera,bay leaves,green chillies, grated ginger.Fry little bit,add chopped onions fry few more min till onions turn little brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes let it cook few mins until tomatoes turn soft
- Now add garam masala powder,daniya powder and red chilli powder,kasuri methi powder.
- Add cooked masoor dal to the pan mix it add 1/2 cup of water and salt let it cook 10 more mins.Adjust water as per your taste.
- sprinkle coriander leaves on top and serve hot with rice or roti.