Dahi vada is a popular Indian chaat,prepared by soaking vadas in thick dahi or yogurt.These served as a side dish in every meal.This dish is enjoyed on special occasions like poojas,festivals,birthdays. and many more.Dahi vada and even vada is favorite in our family. I do make them at home atleast once in a month..I love to make vada as these are my favorite too.Adding yogurt sauce to the vadas gives a great taste. Tadka or seasoning is entirely our choice..We usually add mustard ,curryleaves chopped ginger..Here goes my recipe.
- Urad dal 1 cup
- water 1/2 cup
- Oil for deep frying
- Yougurt 2 cups
- Roasted cumin powder 1/4 tsp ( just for garnishing)
- onion 1/2 chopped
- Ginger small pieces( chopped finely 1 tspn)
- Green chilli 2( chopped finely)
- Salt to taste.
- Soak urad dal minimum 6 to 8 hrs ( for very good vadas) .I usually soak overnight if possible.
- Drain the water from dal and grind dal in a blender using very less water.
- Next after grinding take out the batter in a bowel,add salt and mix chopped( onions,green chilies,ginger) mixing these ingredients is optional,I do this as our family likes this way.
- Heat oil in a kadai or deep pan.
- Now to make vadas, wet your hand and take little amount of batter in your hand( approx medium lemon size)flatten it and make a hole in the center and slowly leave in the oil( its a tricky part,if you feel its difficult you may try using a ziplock bag)
- Repeat the process for all the vadas.
- Cook the vada until golden brown on one side and flip other side and cook again.
- Remove these vadas on a paper towel and let them cool few mins ( 5 to 10mins )
- Now take a bowl and just fill with water add little salt.
- Drop these vadas in that water and allow them to soak for 2 mins.In another bowl mix yogurt and add litttle water if it is whole yogurt.
- Mean time get ready the yogurt tadka.Take a small pan add few( mustard seeds,curry leaves jeera,red chilli)tadka is also optional but i do this for dahi vada.Add this tadka to the yogurt.
- Remove vadas from water after 2 mins and press them in your palms to squeeze extra water.
- Pour yogurt mix on the vadas and coat it completely
- Sprinkle jeera powder on top of it or spices you prefer.( I used grated carrot,jeera powder,coriander leaves)
Tips for perfect vadas:
- Always prefer grinding dal in a food processor or wet grinder.
- Soak dal overnight for soft crispy vadas.
- Before cooking I keep the batter in a refrigerator for atleast half an hr.