This south Asian squash is indeed bottle shaped,light green and long ,usually called bottle gourd.The flesh inside is spongy.Bottle gourd or lauki is over 90% water therefore it is easy to digest.Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion.It is cooling calming,and contains many vitamins and minerals such as calcium,magnesium,phosphorus,vitaminA. Usually I cook bottle gourd and moong dal. It.It is wonderful in taste.But, today I cook bottle gourd without tomatoes using seesame seeds combination.combination. Iam posting this recipe in BM#62 under the theme 'NO TOMATO GRAVIES" ..here is my recipe.
- Bottle gourd 1 medium size
- seesame seeds 2 tbspns
- red chilies 2 to 3
- onion 1 chopped
- chilli powder 1/4 tspn
- garlic 3 pods( crushed)
- jeera 1/2tspn
- mustard 1/2 tspn
- daniya(coriander) powder 1 tspn
- oil 2 tbspns
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan add seesame seeds,fry well until they are slightly browned and roasted well.keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan,add mustard,jeera seeds.When they splutter add chopped onions,garlic redchilllies followed by turmeric and salt.
- close the lid and let it cook few mins until water comes out from bottle gourd.
- Remove the lid,add chilli powder ,daniya powder saute few mins then add roasted seesame powder.
- Add little water( 3 to 4 tbspns) cook few more mins.Yummy bottle gourd curry is ready.Enjoy with rice or roti.