Uppindi is a traditional recipe from Andhrapradesh..This is prepared with coarsely ground rice also called biyyam rava. This doesn't taste like regular upma but a little different and awesome in taste.My kids love to have this any time. I used to have uppindi during my childhood days when amma prepared at home.I keep watching all the time when amma was cooking uppindi...Atleast once in a week we used to have uppindi.
- Rice rava 1 cup (sun dried rice grinded)
- Moong dal 2 tbspns
- Red chillies 3small
- Onion 1 chopped
- Ginger 2 to 3 small pieces chopped
- Curry leaves 2 strings
- oil 2 tbspns
- salt to taste
- wash raw rice with water,drain it and keep it in sun light for one day.
- Later grind rice into coarse powder and separate flour from rava( I just seive )
- Store the rice in a jar or container.We can use whenever we want to make uppindi.
- Usually I dry more cups of rice and store it .
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds,when splutters add chopped onions,ginger redchillies curry leaves.
- when onions enough fried( should be roasted well) add moong dal( key ingredient) fry well few more mins
- Now add Rice rava which is sun dried and fry few more mins.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt, and let it boil few mins( 3 to 4 mins) in medium to high flame,when the water completely absorbs rava,reduce flame to low and cover the pan with a tight lid.
- Let it cook around 20 mins your uppindi is ready( you can see bottom slighlty roasted and uppindi almost cooked,we love the roasted part)
- Yummy uppindi is ready..This our favorite breakfast for the whole family.Kids love it more than dosas.worth the time and effort spent on this recipe.
- Enjoy uppindi just like that or have it with potato curry)