Kulcha is a type of leavened bread eaten in India and pakistan,made from maida or wheat flour.It is usually eaten with chole. Kulcha.Kulcha is a typical punjabi recipe.Amritsar, a city in Punjab is famous for its Amritsari Kulchas.I tasted different varieties of naas in resturants and havent tried any kulchas. So, thought of doing it at home.For a change last weekend I tired Aloo kulchas. They really tasted awesome.It is very easy to prepare on stove top.I'M posting this recipe in BM#52 UNDER THE THEME Weekend Special dinners.I adapted my recipe here...Here goes my recipe.
- Maida 3 cups
- Curd 3 tbspns
- Baking soda 1/3 Tspn
- Baking powder 1/2 Tspn
- Sugar 1 Tspn
- Oil 1 tbspn
- Salt 3/4 Tspn
- Ajwain seeds( carom seeds) 1 Tspn
- Potatoes 3 to 4 boiled
- Salt 1/2 Tspn
- Green chilli 1-2 chopped
- Ginger 1 small piece
- Amchur powder 1/2 Tspn
- Coriander powder 1 Tspn
- Red chilli powder ( 1/4 Tspn or very less)
- Garam masala 1/4 Tspn
- Coriander leaves 1 tbspn
- Take a bowl, mix maida,baking soda,baking powder,sugar,salt oil.Prepare a smooth dough with lukewarm water.Punch the dough 2 to 3 times to get smooth kulchas.
- Add 1 tspn of oil to the dough and cover it with lid in warm place.Keep it aside for 3 hrs.
- After 3 hours the dough will raise,punch the dough and knead it smooth.
- Boil potatoes,peel the skin off add salt,greenchilli,ginger,coriander powder,amchoor powder,redchilli powder,garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
- Make 6 to 8 round balls of the dough.Make potato mixture into round balls.
- Take one ball of the dough and roll it into a flat disc of 3 inch,put the potato mixture ball on the disc and press it with hands.Close and fold the disc from all sides to make kulcha.
- Now roll this kulcha into flat disc with the roller.Add some carom seeds on top of kulcha and roll lightly.
- Heat a pan add little oil,put the kulcha in the pan and roast it until it just brown on both sides.Continue the same process with the rest of kulchas.
- Serve these kulchas with curd or pickle or chole curry.
Check out for fellow marathoners in BM#52