Chocolate pinwheel cookies will make a wonderful Christmas treat for kids.These fun cookies with their spirals of chocolate and nut with vanilla flavor are perfect for parties.Last week When I prepared this recipe it was a huge hit in my home.Kids loved it especially younger one a picky eater liked it asking it again and again.Here goes my wonderful recipe..These pinwheel cookies were in the Kids Christmas story books but I don't remember the specific name, my daughter love to have these cookies So,with much patience I tried one day..Iam more inspired from Foodnetwork channel,where I got the recipe.I'm posting it BM#54 Under the theme recipes from kids story books or tv shows.
- All purpose flour 1 and 3/4 cup(1 cup+3/4 cup)
- sugar 3/4 cup( you can use less than 3/4 cup)
- Butter 2/3 cup
- Yogurt 1/4 cup( you can replace yogurt with 1 egg)
- Baking powder 1/2 tspn
- Salt a pinch
- Vanilla extract 1 tspn
- Grounded almonds 1/3 cup
- Almond extract 1/4 tspn
- Cocoa powder unsweetened 1/4 cup
- Cream the sugar and the butter together,beat in the yogurt and vanilla extract.Now slowly add the baking powder,salt and mix well.Then add the flour and stir it to form a soft dough.
- Make a round ball and divide it into half evenly.
- Take one half and blend in the almond extract and grounded almonds.To the other half add cocoa and blend it well.
- Roll out each of the dough portions between sheet of wax paper( wax paper avoids sticking to the rolling pin)
- Form each dough into 14 inch rectangle,make sure dough is even thickness all over.Place each rolled out piece in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- After half an hour take out and remove the wax paper top from the chocolate dough and do with the white dough.Place chocolate dough on top of almond dough.
- Roll up tightly starting from the long side.If the dough cracks while rolling wait few more min to warm up.Wrap the finished dough in a wax paper and refrigerate 5 to 6 hrs.
- After 5 to 6 hrs take out from the refrigerator and cut the roll into 1/4 slices.Place these slices on an baking sheet or tray and bake at 350F around 15 to 20 min.( pre heated oven)
- Take out the cookies once the edges are brown and let it cool.Enjoy chocolate and nut cookies(these are crunchy cookies)
Check out for fellow bloggers in BM#54
Linking this to kids delight hosted by PJ