korma is defined as a dish where meat or vegetables are braised with water, stock, and yogurt or cream added. The technique covers many different styles of korma.The flavour of a korma is basedmixture of spices, including ground coriander and cumin, combined with yogurt kept below curdling temperature and incorporated slowly and carefully with the meat juices.
Mutton korma originated from MUGHLAI cusine.Mutton korma is a traditional recipe from India and pakistan.This time I really want to try different version of mutton curry as i like to cook varieties in mutton.Usually I cook mutton with potatoes,brinjal,Ridgegourd.Here goes the tasty mutton korma curry.
- Mutton 1/2kg or 1 lb
- One big onion
- Tomato 2 medium size or one large one
- Chilli powder 2 tspns
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tspns
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspn
- Coriander powder 2 tspns
- cumin seeds 1/4 tspn
- fennel seeds 1 tspn
- curry leaves 1 string
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 dalchin
- 1 javentri
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- cashews 3 to 4
- Fennel seeds or sompu 1/4tspn
- Heat oil in a pan,saute marinated mutton few mins then take out and keep aside.In the same pan add chopped onions fry well till they are traslucent and add ginger garlic paste.Fry well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes ,salt ,and cook few more minutes in a medium flame until the tomatoes get mashed.
- Let the mixture cool down and grind into smooth paste
- Now to cook mutton if you are using pressure cooker, heat 1 tbspn of oil when it is hot add fennel seeds,cumin seeds,curry leaves and dry masala powder and bay leaf.
- When jeera start spluttering add grounded paste followed by marinated mutton.Mix it well and let it fry 4 to 5 mins then add coriander powder,turmeric powder,red chilli powder (1to 2 tspn)
- Fry few mins till the mutton completely absorbs the masala.Let it cook for3 to 4 mins.
- Now add water to the mutton as per our consistancy.cook for 3 to 4 whistles(Depends upon the quality of mutton)
- When the mutton is almost cooked remove the cooker lid add coconut paste and let it cook 4 to 5 mins till the consistancy of gravy we prefer.